Well put Doug.  Very good advice.  I no longer have the urge to do hard
century rides and the last one I did, two years ago, was a 113 mile ride
known as the Double Gap for the two mountain passes it goes over.   The
first pass has a very steep section at the front end, a very long gradual
climb then an extended crunch of mid teen grade.  I got dropped about a
third of the way up the bottom section and didn't see a rider till I was
about a third of the way up the final section.  He was on the side of the
road bent over and when I asked if he was OK, he told me that he had
stopped when his HR monitor told him too.  About a half mile further up the
road I came upon another man in the same position with the same story.  I
just monitor my own heart and don't let testosterone decide on how hard to
go.

Michael