Jan Heine had a less-than-ecstatic review or analysis of European
cycling infrastructure compared to US needs; this in a not too old BQ.
IIRC, you could sum up the article by saying "It's useful but slow,
not fun and not really applicable to American distances." Now, NYC may
be more European in its cycling needs than much else of the US.

Here in ABQ, NM, the cycling infrastructure grows apace under our
Republican mayor; a major new extension of the Alameda Boulevard bike
path (there is also a nice bike lane for much of the road) and there
is even talk of a cycling Ring Road -- the main complaints per the
front page newspaper article were actually from local a cycling group
or groups because it/they were not involved, or sufficiently involved,
in the planning. And I remember vaguely other in-process plans to
extend one bike path to another bike path with a new $XM bridge of
I-25 -- so many of these improvements, one can't really be expected to
keep up with it all, you know.

Oh, and on West Central (old route 66) near Old Town they removed one
car lane in each direction (now there are just one for each) to make
bike lanes. AND they have turned a couple of E-W cross-town streets --
Copper, some years ago, and more recently Lead, a larger feeder --
into bike avenues with traffic slowing and wide, safe lanes for
cyclists. The one difficulty I remember was going east on Copper where
it ran into the fairground: you were largely left hanging unless, as I
did, you went through the grounds itself -- difficult in full Fair
season.

IIRC, there are some four hundred  miles of bike paths and lanes.

Altogether I would rate ABQ's cycling infrastructure quite highly: it
is indeed easy to get around by bike. OTOH, the distances are large,
the terrain is rolling  and climbs some 1,500 feet from valley floor
where I live to Tramway some 7 miles east as the crow flies, and it is
quite windy. If Amsterdam were laid out like ABQ, I expect far fewer
Hollandais/se would commute by bike -- tho' they'd probably have a
more extensive public transit system: here, apart from the express
lines, it is largely used by the poor.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 AM, Lyle Bogart <lylebog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From today's NY Times:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/world/europe/in-denmark-pedaling-to-work-on-a-superhighway.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp&pagewanted=all
>
> Cheers!
>
> lyle
>
> --
> lyle f bogart dpt
>
> 156 bradford rd
> wiscasset, me 04578
> 207.882.6494
> 206.794.6937

"Push back against the age as hard as it pushes against you."

Flannery O'Connor