 From: Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com>
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [RBW] Re: Grant on Brian Lehrer

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 12:47 -0700, Jim Cloud wrote:

> I also don't agree with Grant that wearing a helmet necessarily
> promotes a riskier still of riding.  I've ridden both without a helmet
> and with a helmet, and I don't believe that my riding style changes
> one iota.

Were the "safety equipment begets riskier activity" argument true, when
we look back on driving cars in the 1950s -- back in the days of
spear-you-through-the-chest steering columns and steel dashboards with
big knobs that would smash your skull and no seatbelts so you'd go
flying through the windshield or into the dashboard or get impaled on
the steering column -- you would expect to see safer driving habits than
you see now.  And those of us who were there can tell you with
authority, there was no such thing.