On Jul 26, 2012, at 5:51 AM, Matthew J wrote:

> I can't believe Cyclofiend hasn't shut this thread down yet.

For all practical purposes, Grant Peterson is Rivendell Bicycle Works. The thread is for fans of RBW to discuss things RBW.

Grant Peterson wrote a book and has given interviews where he expressed problems not so much on the choice to wear helmets while riding bicycle, but what he sees as the exaggerated emphasis on the need to wear helmets at all times.

If we cannot discuss Grant Peterson's comments on the RBW site, where can we?

For the record, I think we do as good of job as possible in discussing probably the most divisive issue which pops up on cycling lists.

But, it's easy to see the topic arc past what Grant wrote and devolve into name calling.

I think it's a better practice, and it has been the practice in this group, to maintain enough respect for everyone to drop subjects which aren't getting solved rather than continue to push on them.

Helmet discussions get nasty and heated. Always. I thank everyone who was contributing to this thread that it hasn't quite reached that point, but don't think there's much more to say on the topic.

Thanks again!

- Jim / Cyclofiend.com / List Admin