I ride in Minneapolis/St. Paul in the winter, and I have two winter
beaters: an '86 Trek 620 and a 98 kona fire mountain.  I had the kona
before I found Riv's, and rode it in the winter to begin with, so it stays
in the winter beater category.  It's the one bike that sports studded
tires.   When I got my Saluki in 2006, the kona felt like an old Econoline
van and lay fallow in the basement.  So winter comes and I wasn't excited
about riding the kona but I didn't want to be so hard on my Saluki, so I
found the Trek.  I was ideal because it had seen a lot of use and had been
converted to a single.  Singles are great in urban snow/winter.  Then I
fell in love with single speeds (it's endless, isn't it?) and got a proto
bleriot that I made into a single.  At this point, all of these bikes have
seen snow and salt and grime.  The bleriot comes out for those very cold
days when the roads are mostly dry even though there's snow.  The Trek does
duty on the regular old salty grimey slushy roads.  The kona, with its with
studded tires, comes out for the saltiest grimiest ruttiest conditions.
The Saluki goes into hibernation, but sometimes gets caught in an
early/late snow.

For me, much of it is about tire choice.  Unless I need them, I don't like
knobbies and I really don't like studs.  That said, I am not immune to
slipping and falling on ruts—this is probably one of the biggest dangers
winter bikers here talk about.  (Just ask Jim Thill!)  So I grab the most
sure-footed for the conditions.  This helps keep both me and the bike from
getting bent and broken.

And yes, the salt and slush are very hard on the bikes if you don't get it
wiped down after a ride.

And I love seeing photos of Rivs in snow!!!!

Liesl