On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 08:00 -0700, Mike wrote:

>         Sure, only it can be very hard to follow a cue sheet in
>         unfamiliar territory when you don't have any idea of your
>         mileage.
>

> I haven't used a computer for randonneuring in years and haven't had
> any problem.

Right.

And when my daughter was 2 years old we went to Boston, walked around in
the park looking for the ducks from _Make Way For Ducklings_.

A dozen years later we were on a bike tour and saw a hammered dulcimer
player at the Peters Valley Craft Fair.  He had a bunch of record albums
set up for sale around where he was playing.  The records had a picture
on the cover of him playing sitting in front of a big fountain.

She takes a look and says she knows where that fountain is located, and
tells me the name of the park and the street location: the park we were
in when she was 2 years old, and where she has not been since then.

How many other people can do that?

I know lots of people who can't get tires on without tire jacks or
levers.  I had to help one on today's ride.  (OK, he has a legitimate
excuse, having injured his hands in a fall a couple of months ago.)

The fact that you can do something extraordinary doesn't mean anyone
else can, or that they should be forced to try.