Patrick,

The thread on the discussion seamed to take off in a different direction
than I thought it would have.  After reading the post by Jan my first
thought... (notice thought .. not accusation) was WOW I thought Jan and
Grant were friends I wonder why the attack on Rivendell.   The seersucker
double top tube thing and oversized tubing wasn't whatever and rivendell
uses oversized tube so then.. etc.  Though things were not directly said
they seemed to be implied even so far as to say nothing in bike shops
existed in performance bikes other than cheap no good (my perception of
what was written right or wrong)  entry level race bikes.

Then I thought well my AHH is a performance and I wouldn't want anything
with more flex.  Then I thought well I'm 6'5" tall and 225 and Jan is
looking at other sizes etc.  So no biggie. I then bought some stuff from
Compass Bicycles for home stock and trying out some tires.  I may not
relate to and my experience in many cases does not match his assertions.  I
just blow it off.

I was reading somewhere on his (Jan's) site that a friend of his thought
Jan was faster on a different piece of equipment I thought Tires (Jans
favorite).  He changed and indicated the stop watch said he was faster and
he changed tires.  I would not relate to that as the feel is more important
than the watch to me.  But I did spend a great deal of time in my life
chasing that speed and understand it.

In the end I was disappointed by the seemingly broad brush strike at
Rivendell and felt like he was as critical and divisive as those he was
complaining about.   Now it's a three way.. just not the kind I like  :)

It was my perceptions and how I took it.  I am NOT claiming it WAS or
trying to say what Jan meant to say.. only how I felt after reading it.

Kelly