1992: saw, understood, and bought a 1991 (? Cream colored, calipers)
model on remainder at a LBS. Liked it a lot (hot rodded it with
lightweight wheels, parts and end-of-drop-bar-hooks gripshifts!).

Signed up for the original boblist -- mailing only at that time, I
think. Forget member #.

Because of BOB mailing list, got mailer from Grant about new Rivendell
venture. Followed it.

Late 1994: asked Grant to make me a road bike that handled better than
the XO-1. He said, "Oh, it will."

Early 1995, received first 559 road custom, Waterford built of tout
753 (fork 531) built around current All Rounder geometry tweaked for
road use: 73* parallel, shorter front-center, road lugs and tubing,
new road fork.

Rode it and liked it a lot, 'cept for the paint which flaked easily.

1998: had built and ridden two fixies and decided I wanted a really
nice one. Talked to Grant about a similar custom but fixed. Grant
said, "If you really know what you are doing, I'll go ahead."

April 1999: received Joe Starck-built 559/571 gofast custom with no
braze-ons except dt bottle cage braze ons; had it built up with nice
parts including 571 Revolution wheels on ME14As, by Dick Hallet's
gang.

2002: decided that I wanted a derailleur gofast equivalent. Talked to
Grant, told him it should be identical except for derailleur hangar,
horizontals and excessively customized *removable* left-side dt
shifter boss.

March, 2003: Curt came through and I built it up with lightweight
parts including a 1X10 Am Classic 11-23 cassette with 8-sp Dura Ace
der pulled by Retrofrictions.

Rode it a lot until my tastes changed to commuting and fixed gears.

Circa 2006: Dave Porter converted the Curt to 1010s with der hangar
sliced off, removed the dt shifter boss/threaded braze-on, and moved
the brake bridge to accomodate the movement of a fixed wheel. Built it
up with rack, fenders, dynamo, lights and used it to commute 15 miles
one way to work.

2012: still ride mostly the '99 and the '03/'06.

2010 (?): bought Riv's floor model 56 cm Sam, rode for six months,
didn't like loaded handling, sold and bought used Fargo which is bee's
knees.

2012: Covet Hunq, Roadeo, old Rambouillet, but no cash.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM, lungimsam <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how did you originally find out about them, and why/where/how did you get
> your first Rivendell bike?

"When in Rome, do as they done in Milledgeville."

Flannery O'Connor