Despite the fact that this is rooted in a comment Grant publicized, I wonder if your question isn't really OT, given the forum is ostensibly about Rivendell, et al. What does anyone's opinion about whether or not they like-ride-race on another bike made of some other material have to do with the forum's raison d'etre?