On Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:02:24 PM UTC-4, MikeC wrote:

> The website is vague regarding tubing thicknesses used. Does anyone know
> the exact dimensions? Just interested in data to compare my Hillborne with
> other bikes that I have.

It varies.   When you have bikes that were built by one company but now a
different one (maybe was Toyo, now built by Waterfor; or perhaps was in
Taiwan, etc.); with changes along the way (sidepulls, now cantis; one top
tube, now two; etc.); well, it's possible one bike has X tubing but this
other one has Y tubing.   So, to simplify it, they don't 'publish' it;  if
you had X tubing listed, but then Y tubing was used on a particular bike,
and some potential buyer thought they just HAD to have X tubing and felt
let down by Y tubing (even when Y was a better choice for them anyway),
well... it's just simpler to go with generalities, and not specifics.
Don't expect a Roadeo to be an Atlantis, or vice-versa.  I wouldn't say "it
doesn't matter", as rider, end use, etc., does dictate what's appropriate.
  If it really matters to you, you could call and ask.

With that said, though, sometimes, in some of the assorted accessory info
that comes out from RBW, you can learn about a particular bike.

For example, http://www.cyclofiend.com/Images/rbw/rr23_pg40md.jpg shows
what the proposed tubing was for the Rambouillet, a mix of TruTemper and
Reynolds, heat treated where appropriate, butted where wanted, etc.
However, that changed later on, and you can read more about it here:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/Images/rbw/ram_14.jpg ; now I don't know if 'my'
later Ram is still that exact tubing, but it is close to that and I'm sure
it's every bit as good.   My Bombadil, by contrast, W'ford built; they
haven't published it, but in speaking with them, told me that it is OX
Plat, straight gauge for extra strength.

I don't have a Sam, don't know specifics about a Sam.  I've ridden a
couple, they're great bikes... different 'generations' of them, but still
consistent, whether or not there were changes.... but no,  I have no idea
on a Sam's steel nor tubing sizes.

> Please don't reply with, "Doesn't matter, they all ride great" or
> somesuch....

 Not wanting to nitpick, but I suppose I am a little -  I may not have
answered your question in regards to your Sam, but I provided what I knew
on Riv tubing, that it might help others that come across this subject line
later... but that little tag at the end, will probably keep a lot of people
from bothering to post at all, as it almost did for me.    Yeah, you might
have gotten a couple of responses like that "doesn't matter, it's great"
(as I said, they are great, but I understand intent should have an effect
on sizing selection); but not having that on the end, might have not turned
people off, who might have known and decided to not post...  FWIW....