I commuted in DC and Arlington on my Bleriot from the day it arrived in late 2006 until I retired in mid 2008.  I put away an old Bianchi hybrid because I really enjoy riding the Bleriot.  Now the Bleriot goes all over Arlington, DC, Alexandria and sometimes into Maryland, loaded with stuff from my errands.  I don't know how much stuff but sometimes I can hardly lift its rear end over a curb because I've got so much "stuff" in the panniers and trunk bag(I don't weigh, I just go: library books, cat food bags, six pack of beer, multiple potatoes and vegetables, cereal, fruit, cleaning stuff ).  Plus I carry 2 locks because I'm a little paranoid, not enough to stop taking the bike all over but enough to warrant the extra weight.

And as an aside - once I get going, I kind of stop noticing the weight, just am aware that I have to gear lower for certain hills and am going slower than unloaded on the same roads.
Joan
And "lungimsam" - I think you live in the DC metro area, and if you want to "ride with someone", let me know and maybe we can get a small group together for a weekend ride.