On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your Ultegra cranks won't take a 30.  You'll be buying a new crankset to go
> to a true compact double.  I run compact doubles on three bikes.

The smallest the Ultegra compact double will take is a 34 (well, maybe
33). Like William said, you will need a different crankset. Here's the
gospel of Sheldon Brown on smallest chain ring per BCD:
http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html

Search the archives and you should find plenty of information on
possible cranksets. You will also need to consider what kind of bottom
bracket you have and whether you'll want to replace that too, or find
a compatible replacement crank.

My doubles include a 42-28, a 36-26 (mostly for dirt), and a 48-30 (road only).

Welcome to the world of parts swapping -- that's half the fun.