I'm really kind of intrigued by the 1x11. From what I've read, it's a whole
system — special front crankset with the teeth shaped so that no chain
catcher is required, and the RD is new as well, moving differently than
typical derailers. This link has some
details:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/08/17/first-ride-impressions-and-tech-breakdown-of-the-new-1x11-sram-xx1-drivetrain/.

I've run a 1/7 setup before, but this has greater range and closer ratios.
But it's all way outside my price range, so it's either my single speed or
downtube shifters on my old road bike.
--Tom