On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:26:10 AM UTC-4, lungimsam wrote:
"Sounds like you must swap out wheels/tires for dry days, or have a second
bike with studded tires on them only for snow/ice days."

Studded tires are fine on dry pavement, they just ride like bricks and have
a lot of rolling resistance.  but that tends to matter little in the winter
slop.  if you live anywhere that has real, variable winter weather for a
few months, there's no point in taking them off - it could be dry on the
morning commute, but the evening commute could be a sheet of ice.  and just
because the main roads are dry doesn't mean that road shoulders, secondary
roads, MUPs are in good shape.  there might only be 15 yards of ice on a 5
mile commute, but the traction on those 15 yards is well worth a bit of
extra rolling resistance.  it's not all that different than studded tires
on a car.

As for how studs handle ice, I like Peter White's analogy of walking on ice
that's been lightly sanded.  it's kind of like that.  but i rely on my
experience, bike handling skills and common sense way more than my tires
for winter riding.