Yep, I concur with Patrick on pretty much everything he said about studded
tires.

They are fine on dry pavement.  I actually also happen to live in Vermont,
and, last winter, there were probably only a few days I really 'needed' the
studs for the entire ride, but there are also little patches on every ride
which were a tiny bit icy.  I was also really happy last spring when I took
them off and put regular tires back on, the bike felt so much better.

One thing I learned quickly was I would forget that I didn't have studs on
my shoes, and would put my feet down and slip (which can be
painful/disastrous with a big riv between your legs lol).  But the natural
consequences helped me remember not to do that after a time or two.