I used the Zounds for a couple of years when I commuted W-E and return
across town on one of ABQ's busiest boulevards (Central from Atrisco
10 miles to a mile or so east of Eubank). I found it as useful as a
car horn: true, if you can honk, you can react, but that leaves out
one big benefit of horns bicycle and automobile, to wit, **to express
your indignation**. And this country is all about free expression,
right? (I assume that one expresses his indignation only when such
expression is reasonable.)

Seriously -- all kidding aside -- I think that a loud blast of horn
may well have a beneficial effect on someone who, cluelessly or simply
by miscalculation, is infringing dangerously on a cyclist's rights.
For example, a motorist about to pull out unsafely from a rider's
right, simply because he or she is unable to "process" the cyclist's
approaching speed and because the driver is simply not used to having
to accomodate cyclists.

That said, I gave up on mine because it was too bulky, flimsy, and
because I kept forgetting to keep the pressure up. It finally decayed
in my parts box.

I did use it once against (the word deliberately chosen) pedestrians:
on the bike path, some adolescent boys ignored my shouts, bell,
screams, all well in advance of our conjunction, continuing to
horseplay across the full width of the path. I finally gave them a
blast and was pleased to see them very quickly wake up and jump to
safety.