I'm sure NYC has lots of good bike shops, or at least a handful---I of
course wouldn't know---but I have a thing for Dave Perry, and kind of a
long history, although it's all recent news to me. He attended my book talk
when I was in NYC and was super gracious, really nice. He introduced
himself and I recognized him barely but knew his name from his Bike Cult
book of many years ago. I hooked up with an old Bstone cow-orker now living
in Brooklyn, and we were walking in that part of town (lower east side, I
think it is) and saw the same purple Zeus bike that I'd seen earlier
outside the place I spoke at. It was outside a bike shop (BikeWorks NYC),
which Dave said was his, so we went in and ----- if the do sell aluminum or
carbon, I didn't seen any. It's small, but a really good shop. I talked to
Ben and --- either Willard or Travis, sorry, another mechanic--and Dave,
and I asked him where he grew up and he said Redwood City, CA, and then for
me (maybe won't be to you) it got interesting. He said he raced, and I knew
of a Dave Perry (2x district champion on the road), and it was him. We know
lots of the same people.
The thing about Dave is, he is SOOOOOOOOOO unracy, or at least not racy in
an annoying way. He knows that world and those bikes and I doubt there's
anybody with a broader range of bike knowledge than Dave. But you'd never
know it, because he's so low key, as is his shop. It's like finding Bob
Dylan owning a record store and working the counter, stocking the bins.
I like NYC and I've always thought it would be good to have a dealer there,
so I have been talking to Dave about it. He has no room, but he likes the
bikes, and we sold him that Sam so he could get a feel for them.
It seems like a good fit, but I have too much respect for Dave and for
myself (and too much pride) to beg. We aren't looking for dealers at all,
anyway. WHen we sell to a dealer, we cut our margin to essentially nothing
so the dealer can make the money--the alternative being to raise the prices
to make room for us AND the dealer to make money, but then a $2300 bike
would cost $2600, and when our normal way is to sell direct, it just
doesn't make sense.
Still, I hope he becomes a dealer, and he is the only dealer in the country
we don't have that I really pine for....but whether he is or not, I totally
recommend him--as do others, I see.
He grew up in Redwood City, CA, about an hour-by-car from here, and we
raced at the same time. There were some overlapping years of it, anyway. I