Staten Island really could be (and sometimes is) a really beautiful
place.  We were attracted here by how much it resembles the SF Bay
Area, at least here on the North Shore.  We are in a neighborhood of
Victorian houses (Stapleton) with expansive views of the Verrazano
bridge and the harbor, and there are lovely hills everywhere.  But
there is little consciousness among the locals of how special it is.
Someone once wrote to the local paper that S.I. could be New York's
Sausalito if anyone cared about it.  A few of us do!

There are rumblings about the refurbishment of the Verrazano, and
controversy about including a bike path.  Transportation Alternatives
has asked cyclists to get involved and demand one.  I will do so!
(Hope it isn't too late.)

Joe