Ryan

Some have installed longboards, or SKS fenders on their Ram but there are
also many who were successful in installing metal fenders.

There are a couple things one can do to improve the clearance for fenders.
What brakes do you have?  The stock Shimano brakes are nice at stopping but
the Tektro 539s are a good upgrade because of how they are shaped.   There
more clearance in both caliper width (wider tire can be installed without
deflating) and fender clearance.  The second thing to try - if I understand
correctly what you meant by "mount the good way" is to shorten the daruma
bolt (a file used like a saw works well) then drill the mounting hole a
little wider in order to use a recessed brake bolt in place of the nut.

I worked with this same issue on my own Ram.  I am very pleased with the
Tektro brakes and although I got fenders to fit on the bike I never ride
with them.

Cheers
JL