From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Eric Norris
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 7:32 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Cc: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] Why all the miles?

I have to believe that Manny was being facetious about "no buddy" (or "nobody")
liking randonneuring. I've been riding long distances for 30 years now (first
double century was in 1983), and I know it's not true at all that nobody likes
riding long distances. I, for one, like it.

I've done many, many hard rides that were at times very unpleasant. Many times
I've asked myself just what the heck I'm doing out here in the (pick one or
more) rain, heat, cold, dark, or middle of nowhere. But at the end of the day,
there is a tremendous sense of satisfaction (for me, and for many others, if
not for everyone) to be had from overcoming the discomfort and reaching a
difficult goal.

PBP in 2007--in the rain, on a fixed gear--was the hardest ride I ever hope to
do, but it's also one of my proudest accomplishments. And while finishing that
event was bought at the price of a lot of discomfort and a lot of effort, it
was totally worth it.

Not everyone approaches cycling this way. There is much to be said for the fun
of a 2-mile ride with your spouse or kids. But it's not accurate to say that
"nobody" likes randonneuring or any other brand of ultra-distance riding.
--Eric Norris
PBP 2007 (fixed gear)
PBP 2011 (gearly)
Santa Rosa to Seattle (40-pound singlespeed)
California to Kansas (fixed gear)
www.CampyOnly.com<http://www.CampyOnly.com>
CampyOnlyGuy.blogspot.com<http://CampyOnlyGuy.blogspot.com>
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy

On Dec 9, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Manuel Acosta