Another vote for chain tensioner.  Back when folks used to ask why anyone
would want a singlespeed, I bought the simple Surley one to play with on my
MB1.  That's - crikey - 13 years ago....   Slap some spacers on the hub and
get a BMX splined singlespeed cog.  Maybe $45-50?   I've cooked three or
four freehubs over the years, but it just works.

Photos here -
http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg/2005/ssg001-cyclofiendmb1505.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclofiend/216944216/

- J / cyclofiend.com