Probably not a reply that's going to be super-helpful, but I commute about 24
miles RT every day, all year long, in the Portland area. Needless to say, rain
is a regular companion. And I'm blind as a bat without glasses/correction. I
haven't found rain to be a huge nuisance so much as fog/mist. Rain tends to
bead up & run off, but those tiny droplets and the constant wiping are
downright dangerous.

2 years ago, at age 50, I finally took the plunge into contacts after telling
myself for years that my eyes wouldn't like them. Absolutely transformed my
commuting. Now I wear clear cheap glasses (winter) or shades to keep my eyes
from drying out too much, and when it's foggy/misty - I don't. Cycling was the
BEST thing about going to contacts.

As an aside, I was most worried about racing NW cyclocross (read: MUD) with
contacts, but for the most part, with the same cheap cycling glasses, it has
not been a problem. Definitely better than racing in my prescription glasses.