I've gotten plenty of decent used bikes for peanuts or free because people
often think of me when they're cleaning out their garages.

But my attempt at "thrifty cycling" was a few years ago when somebody gave me a
Schwinn Traveler III in my size. I pumped up the tires and lubed the chain, and
it was ready to go. Nothing fancy about it, but it was decently comfortable and
the ride quality was ok. I decided to see how much I could get out if it for as
little $$$ as possible. That lasted about a week, until I found someone to give
me $100 for it. Then I went back to the Atlantis or Stumpjumper.