Can you post a few pics of your current setup? It could be that your daruma
bolt is too short (which could be solved with a recessed nut). Orthie-- I
think this is Rene-- has a pics of daruma-bolt setup on his Betty Foy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orthie251/8371814700/in/photostream/

Here's Somervillebikes's fender install with a stack of washers-- replace
it with your wedge.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7516215@N03/5411771107/in/photostream/

There's also a pic of the recessed nut on daruma bolt:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7516215@N03/5403383604/in/photostream/