Hi Matt, just throwing out the example of long Nitto struts with an M-18
front rack, attached to the dropout lugs on my old Raleigh.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/aP1010004.jpg>I've
since added some Honjo full fenders, and they share the lug fitting with no
troubles.

With the Honjos, I've also managed to use the front diving board bolt as an
additional fender attachment, giving me a rock-solid 3-point attachment on
my front fender.