The economic turmoil in 2008 caused a 27" tire shortage. I source tires from 5
or 6 different distributors, and nobody had any 27" tires of any kind during
the summer. NYT had a 27" tire review in the style section that year, a nod to
all the old bikes coming out of hibernation. After that, the 27" tire market
blossomed. Now every major tire maker has at least one 27" offering, from
Gatorskins to Paselas to Kenda knobbies. For my money, I'd probably get Pasela
1-1/4" or some Schwalbe whitewalls. I don't see any good reason to convert to
700C. Not that you need a good reason, of course.