I have a LHT and it too feels dead unloaded. I'm thinking it's somewhat
related to Jan Heine's thoughts on frame flex and responsiveness. The LHT
frame seems overly stiff unloaded, as it's built to haul, but comes to life
(a bit, at least) for me when some weight is on it. Kind of like a pickup
truck rides horribly when empty, but much better with a load in the bed.

-Pete in CT