I read this when it was posted on Path Less Pedaled Facebook page, totally
didn't put it together that it was THE Andy Smitty Schmidt.

Great stuff!

My wife and I have been car free for one year.  I would add that having
bikes that you love significantly helps with the transition!  She had a
Jamis Commuter which is an okay little bike, but is really more for like 1
mile excursions on fat land.  I surprised her with a Betty Foy for her
bday, and she is much more into riding than she was in the past!  I was a
bit worried that getting her a BF was a "homer bowling ball" present, but
she was blown away and loves it.