I'd like to put a word in for having the kid(s) on the back of a tandem,
either a regular sized one with a "kid back" or a bike friday (or MTB type
tandem with a lower top tube in back, or if you have the $$ or get lucky on
the internet, one of the amazing "periscope" tandems that are made for this
very purpose.

Like one of the other posters, I live in a hilly rural area; and I have
been pulling my kid on a first a kidback, and tandem since he was 3 1/2;
and he's been putting out reasonable pedal power since (from 10 months - 3,
he was in a trailer).  The added power from the child is very helpful
sometimes, esp as he got heavier (now at 80 lbs and 10 years old, a
sprinter esp on hills), but most importantly - early lesson in "there is no
free ride" - even those few times where I said stop pedalling and I'll pull
you up the hill, or we'll walk, or whatever, he saw the relationship
between effort and benefit. We've all seen kids who expect everythng to be
handed to them...how are they going to understand that they have
responsibility if after being hauled around until they're 7 or 8, THEN they
have to start riding up those hills?

Whichever tandem we've used (and here's a link to some of them), they've
all been great for carrying lots of stuff besides the kid; with cheap
panniers, or even better, the wald folding grocery racks / big rack +
basket up front, I've hauled 60 lbs of stuff, plus kid, no problem,
although we do sometimes walk up hills (there are a lot of steep grades
round here (western mass / & Columbia County NY).  We try to ride
everywhere within 10 miles.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE7mW43

Lights, good rain gear, lots of snacks, fun destinations in addition to the
hardware, feed, and grocery stores.

Oh, and hey, riv content -
a. bikes are "riv'd out" as the expression goes
b. if you look closely, there's a shot of my wife's glorius in grand
central in front of the Bike friday loaded up.

ron in western ma