Hi Owen,

I use Shimano V-brakes (107 mm arms), 700C Big Apples (57 mm actual width
on my rims) and Berthoud 60 mm steel fenders. It works great, although it
was necessary to put a dent in (or should I say cold set) the fenders to
get the housing stop/quick-release thingy on the V-brakes to clear. With 50
mm 700C Marathon Supremes (around 46 mm on my rims, from memory) I had nice
clearance on the fenders and no denting was necessary.

I think Tektro V-brakes are available with longer arms, and I've heard that
the arms on Paul Motolites are 114 mm but that measurement isn't given on
their website (anyone got a set they can measure?). You would need to have
the frame clearance and racks could get in the way. I intend to find out
about the Motolites and consider switching at some point.

Tom