HI Liesl,
Best wishes for a comfortable solution!

Here's a link to the VO quill to threadless, if you didn't already see it:
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/stems/quill-stems/vo-threadless-stem-adaptor.html

(I think it's actually a nice solution.)

The V-brakes are gonna be a problem, tho. "Linear pull" won't play nicely
with cantis, as linears pull more cable.

Good luck, Sho