On Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:26:42 PM UTC-4, Peter M wrote:

>  what are people really "training" for other that for more riding?

Training is more a byproduct of my lifestyle than anything else.  I'm very
goal oriented and tend to set goals in the areas of my life in which I have
some passion and maybe a sliver of talent. Reaching a goal is incredibly
gratifying - I love that feeling, regardless of whether my goal is
sport-oriented or not.  Truly, I don't consider training for running,
cycling or skiing any different than "practicing" the instruments I play -
I simply do exercises that help me reach my potential within the time
constraints my life will allow.  I just do stuff that will hopefully make
me better at what I like doing.  Participation in sport is another reason I
train.  I'm not competitive by nature, but I love sport.  It's fun and full
of emotion, which makes it a source of motivation for me.  which lends
consistency to my life ...and it's amazing how far we can get with
consistency.  do something daily for a few years and wow.  participation
also gets me more involved in my community - i live in a very active town
where people are outside doing stuff all the time. my city hosts a
marathon, a cycling stage race, triathlon nationals.  we have a big 'ole
lake and some mountains to play in.  being a part of that community brings
all kinds of positive reinforcement.  and then there are the upsides of
training, like good health and fitness.  and being able to share fun
experiences with family and friends.  and reduced stress.  and I sleep very
well.  there's a spiritual component to a good long ride or run too - i
appreciate the time i get to reflect when "training" and never take that
for granted.  training and "just riding" are pretty much the same for me. a
couple times a week, it's not "just riding."  but that's fine too.  I still
enjoy it.

sorry if that was a long answer to a question that intended to be
rhetorical!