Ryan -- I know it's an odd fixation, but my goal is to have a bike that
rides very nicely unladen, as the Ram has proved to do, and that can also
carry groceries -- up to 40 lb, usually 25 to 30 lb -- nicely. The '73
Motobecane did so, as did my first -- early 1995 -- Waterford custom; which
is odd because neither of these bikes was at all designed for loading. I
don't want a bike designed for heavy loads as these, probably, won't ride
as nicely unladen.

As for theft, I use my '03 custom for errands but I am fortunate that it
rarely needs to be locked outside, and that only in better, and well
trafficked, places.

Frankly, I see the Ram as a kind of high end -- well, beater is too strong
a word, but one that spares my customs, should they need it.

patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com