Y'know what I'd love to see?

Non-ramped rear sprockets.  Just like on the old freewheels we used to get,
but set on a carrier so they would fit on current freehubs.  Steel?  Sure,
if that is easier, but aluminum is fine if the teeth were longer.  8
sprockets or even 9, so the size would be right.

Really, I'm talking about the KlunkyShift™ cassette I mentioned in the AHH
drivetrain thread.  If we're using a manual shifting setup, there's no
reason why we need index-compatible sprockets.  But, I'm not real keen on
going back to the narrow bearing spacing from the freewheel days.  (Bent
waaay too many axles back then.)

Ok... clearly I'm an outlier.

- Jim / cyclofiend.com