Chris, I agree with your general assessment. The dark side of me loves
riding on the dirt with my Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc... but also loves mixed
terrain riding on my Rivs, just not of the same dirt difficulty/roughness.
It's the best of both worlds to be able to choose where, how and what I'm
going to ride based on my mood...

That being said, I now ride my Santa Cruz wearing a seersucker shirt
instead of the previous commercial MTB attire... and am riding flat pedals
as well instead of clipless!