Thanks for all the advice, folks!

I'm not committed to fatter tires; I really like the 28's I have on there
compared to the 23's on my last bike.  So, I figured I'd like another size
up at least as much.  And Catalogue #3 says that the Road Standard will
take up to a 35 so I figured there had to be a way.

And the way is 650B.  When I'm done riding the heck out of my Road on 700c
28's, then maybe I'll give 650B a whirl.  It's nice to know that there are
still options.

Also, if I ever send the bike to Waterford for repair/repaint, they could
raise the brake bridge.  Their website says they often remove/refit the
brake bridge when they stretch the dropouts on an old lugged frame.

It's 40 degrees but it's sunny, so it's time to ride the Rivendell.

Tim