I tend to waffle between Grant's and Jan's viewpoints on bicycles.  I think
part of that is curiosity about the type of ride that Rivendell's provide.
I've heard so many glowing reports that I want to experience it for
myself.  Also, I'm an uber-clydesdale and I trust Rivendell bicycles to be
robust enough for me more than I do a lot of others.  On the other hand, if
I weighed 180 and was in good shape.....I would be all about performance
but even then I think a Roadeo would fit my needs better than a dedicated
Randonneur.  I don't plan on ever carrying anything on my bike so I think
low trail would be detrimental to me. Light steel frame?  Sporty geometry?
Light, high performance tires?  All of those would be my preference if I
was light enough to take advantage of them.