On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 13:12 -0700, Philip Williamson wrote:
> This excellent summation of a randonneur bike's mission also describes
> a commute bike's mission. You need to get yourself and some gear to a
> destination, on time. A commuter (this one, anyway), may get a
> randonneur's "five hour" feeling at the 40 minute mark.

Of course, the load will be different -- at least, mine was: I carried
work clothes, shoes, etc. in two small panniers, around 13 lb weight (my
shoes were heavy!) and lunch in a handle bar bag.  With tools and spare
tubes that brought the load up to almost 20 lb.  That's about twice the
load you'd expect to carry on the randonneur, especially when you figure
in the weight of the panniers and the rack to carry them.

I realize all commutes are not the same.  Many people commute wearing
the clothes they will wear at work.  Also distances vary.  The urban
commuter's route may be much shorter and may have many frequent stops at
traffic lights and stop signs compared to someone riding in to work from
the suburbs.

The number of stops may influence the choice of drive train.  An IGH
makes a lot of sense for a short distance urban commute with plenty of
stops, some abrupt enough you'll need to shift while stopped; much less
sense for a brevet, where you wouldn't expect to stop more often than at
20-30 mile intervals, if even that often.

It might also influence riding position.  Riding a bicycle with a suit
jacket on works fine with an upright bar like the North Road or the
Albatross, but it doesn't work at all well with drop bars.

If you're trying to optimize the bike for a particular mission, you do
have to pick that mission apart and analyze it in detail, and it will
drive design choices.  If you want maximum versatility, you may have to
choose configurations that will sub-optimal for some missions, maybe
even marginal to poor for others.