I am completely baffled by people who seem determined to pick a fight over Jan
vs Grant.  I know them both, have been in fun discussions with them about
bikes, read a lot of what they have written, and can't for the life of me
figure out why people think there is some sort of holy war worth fighting here.
My bike selection includes a Riv custom road bike with a (relatively) modern
Campy group, a Heron road with plastic fenders and typical end-o-era Suntour
parts, a Riv custom ATB with an eclectic mix, a Quickbeam with plastic fenders
and front and rear racks and battery lights, a Protovelo Bleriot with S&S
couplers, plastic fenders, small rear rack, dyno lights, and a handlebar bag, a
Terraferma 650B skinny tube brevet bike with aluminum fenders, dyno lights, and
a handlebar bag, and a couple of tandems. (And a Moto Guzzi, but we'll stick to
bicycle bikes here).

The two bikes that get the most mileage these days are the Protovelo and the
Terraferma. Both 650B with 38-42 mm tires, fenders, and dyno lights. I wouldn't
hesitate to take the Protovelo on a brevet. In fact, I did a solo 600km ride on
it and didn't once think, gee, I wish this thing was lighter and more
responsive. But now that I have the Terraferma, it's my first choice for a long
ride. Point is, I really like them both, am very happy with them both, and
don't understand anyone who says it has to be one or the other. If you can't
afford both, pick one and ride the heck out of it.