I agree with Mike and with Mike.

That is to say: more weight with sufficient advantage is acceptable; adding
weight without sufficient need is not. For my Fargo I'd be happy with
steel, fwiw, tho' I'd prefer long-lived aluminum for my road bikes.

Segwaying: I like working on old Schwinns -- that they can be ridden or
stored for decades and be dug up again in usable or near-usable condition
proves their good design and build. But man, when I heft a Collegiate or a
Varsity or a Suburban, and then heft a decent low end aluminum (frame +
wheels + components) hybrid or cruiser or mtb -- my daughter's Electra 3i,
for example -- it is revealed to me with ineluctable certitude that
aluminum is the best thing that ever happened to cheap bikes.

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Mike On A Bike <shaljia...@guilford.edu>wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you can't cringe at chainring weight unless you're < 2%
> bodyfat.
>
> On Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:58:53 PM UTC-4, Mike Schiller wrote:
>>
>> for those of us who are in good shape and  ride a lot of  miles *
>> unnecessary* extra weight bike is important.  A good 7075 aluminum ring
>> will last a long time. Probably around 3-4 times longer than the basic
>> Sugino rings.
>> I'd rather keep my bikes as light as I can within reason. I already make
>> weight compromises, like a Brooks saddle and racks. The durability of SS
>> rings is great for single speeds and tandems but a waste on a geared bike
>> IMO.
>>
>> ~mike
>>
>> On Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:56:57 PM UTC-7, charlie wrote:
>>>
>>> I get the weight thing but seriously............its not that much of a
>>> difference in the overall weight of your bicycle especially if you include
>>> your weight in the equation (as Grant says). If durability is a prime
>>> concern in your drive train go ahead and get steel rings they will probably
>>> out last any aluminum rings 10-1. When you ride high mileage, dirty
>>> conditions or do crummy maintenance, parts are just parts and longer
>>> wearing parts are better. The guy that rides 15,000 miles a year is
>>> probably in such good riding condition that a little weight doesn't matter.

http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com

Albuquerque, NM