Some good advice here. Another top tip for troublesome cloth: soak it in
water before you wrap. It helps it stretch, lay flat (not bunch and kink as
much), and as it dries, it shrinks a bit so it's nice and tight.

BTW, I only do this if I'm having trouble with a particular brand of tape,
and/or bar shape. I usually try to wrap it dry first, and if I end up with
lumps, etc, I'll unwrap entire side, throw it in the sink for a quick soak,
and re-wrap. Works for me.