I've always done my own work mostly because I wanted to learn and I was
cheap. However, I'm very lucky now to have Jim Thill's Hiawatha Cyclery
within 6 miles it's also a great place to drop in and hang out for a while,
Jim and Mark always have great tips. Before I discovered them and while I
was rebuilding  my old Nishiki Pro I couldn't get the bottom bracket fixed
cup loose so I took it to our local coop and all the mechanics fawned over
it.

Every city or town should have the equivilant of a Hiawatha Cyclery!