William:

When you say touring, are you talking about 4 bags camping / cooking gear
into hills of unknown length or grade, or a 2 bag lodging setup?  30 mile
days or 70 mile days?  The range you mention is just OK if you're looking
at less than 20 lbs extra weight but will likely be a strain if you intend
to carry 40 lbs of load (surprisingly easy to get to).  Heavily loaded,
hills, longer days, a low gear around 20" comes in pretty handy.

dougP