There's a set of documentaries by an English guy who rode around the world,
then did Alaska to the tip or South America.  He chose a Rohloff over
derailleur gears, on the theory that it was less likely to have problems.
 As Marc Irwin points out, if it had broken, he'd of been screwed.  His
risk assessment was that the likelihood of the IGH going bad was less than
that of bent derailleur hangers etc.  He also factored in the greater
weight of the IGH.  Of course, YMMV.  We each make our own risk
assessments.  :.)

Nick W.