Don’t know if this has ever been done before but there was a NorCal vs.
SoCal Rumble in neutral territory San Luis Obispo County no baseball or
basketball to determine superiority just some camping and bike riding loads
of fun!

I picked up Evan in Valencia and headed North to San Luis Obispo three
hours later we met Doug at the El Chorro Regional campground. Doug had
ridden the 20 odd miles from Arroyo Grande and had already deployed his
tent. Evan and I were itching to ride so we cajoled Doug into loading up
and riding to Morro Bay State Park campground which was a pleasant ride
into the fog (hey It’s hot in LA). We made camp in the hike & bike area
 and made friends with Danni a twenty something young lady cyclo-touring
from Colorado and travelling  from Seattle to Los Angeles she may have made
it to San Diego but just not sure? She wanted to be self reliant she
succeeded! We jumped back on our rigs and rode into town for sightseeing
(around Morro Rock) and Dinner. Fish tacos, fish & chips, Cobb salad and
great company.

Saturday morning we had a leisurely breakfast coffee, tea and oats and made
our plans to ride. We choose to ride to Montana de Oro (The Mountain of
Gold) making our way through Baywood Park we decided to stop and eat some
more, cinnamon rolls, frittatas and coffee with light drumming, guitar and
harmonica a short distance away on the dock to create a serene atmosphere.

Our adventure began when for reasons we lost Doug or Doug lost us! It was a
minor hiccup; we met up at the Montana de Oro visitor center for a
beautiful view of Spooner’s cove.  All the while Doug was in contact with
Manny and Jim Warren to coordinate the meet up.  We decided to head back to
SLO and El Chorro campground 15 miles along  Pecho valley road / Los Osos
valley road  to Foothill Blvd and then into the wind up O’Connor way. Manny
& Doug were in contact (while we sloughed up O’ Connor doing anywhere from
6-8 mph) they had made it to the top of Bishop Peak and could see us in the
distance!

The three of us made our way into camp and did our set up when Manny & Jim
using Jim’s short cut from Cabrillo Hwy to the site arrived! Jim on his
proto-Hungapillar with fat tires and that awesome grey & red paint! Manny
with his orange Hillborne, new mustache bars, huge rando bag of usefulness
and beausage Grant would approve. The rumble was really happening it all
felt right. Almost immediately the dapper Mike Allen drove In with his
Atlantis set up with sprung saddle, upright bars and down-tube shifters the
NorCal contingent was accounted for.  Shortly after Mitch Browne a local
around these parts dropped in to see how we were doing and visit awhile.
Manny was collecting kindling, Evan & I were playing with Manny’s bike and
the others were discussing, parts, bikes and Rivendell philosophy.  Manny
got the fire roaring and grilled fresh calamari with some dill sprinkled
on, Jim and I cooked up bowtie pasta with a marinara sauce & gourmet
sausage we were all filled sufficiently. There was talk about paleo this &
that but hey pasta sure tastes good and we all knew we had a rumble to deal
with the next day! Let the strategizing commence.

…let’s see what the Riv bike count was? Two Atlanti, two Homies, a
Hungapiller appropriately sized and a Nomish Hillborne with built in
hijinx…wow its 12:30am quick dispersion…head on pillows and the Long Beach
softball team with a serenade.

Eye’s open and the smell of sausage wrapped in bacon and “Underwater
coffee” ala Keven. Manny whirling away on a grind and an infectious
smile…lots more talk and it was time to saddle up and get this Ramble I
mean Rumble on!

 Doug was the master planner as he’s been rambling around these here parts
for years, Daughter went to school up here and settled in Arroyo
Grande…lucky cuss always has a reason to visit this idyllic area and have a
place to hang his cap…the rumble took us back into San Luis Obispo  over
the 101 on Santa Rosa Street right on Higuera Street to Madonna Road I
believe we travelled down Ontario Rd to San Luis Bay Drive and entered See
Canyon Rd ( Doug can confirm)…up we climbed a rolling curvy road with a
canopy of trees through a mixture of farms & orchards evoking times spent
in Sonoma county, we took lots of breaks with lots of bike talk and of
course photo-op’s; Jim has to be the Rivendell historian his knowledge is
vast and has followed Rivendell’s genesis from Bstone day’s.  We topped out
on a ridge with views to the ocean and Morro rock in the distance shrouded
in clouds. At one point I watched slack jawed as Manny bounded up a rocky
hill like a sure foot goat all for an ideal camera vantage point, this was
after managing to scale a barbed wire fence! Pictures (his) prove the worth
of his endeavor. These feats are common place for those in NorCal who
witness such feats and we have gleaned some from the group but to see him
in action is something.

>From the top Doug lead us down a fantastic downhill that went on for miles
there were smiles everywhere!  The descent I believe was Coon Creek/
Prefumeo Canyon Rd exiting on to Los Osos Valley Rd to Foothill and into
San Luis Obispo for Sandwiches at Ben Franklin’s  and  of course more
camaraderie…there  was this sandwich called” Da Bomb” can you guess who
ordered it? Evan bought a yellow Ben Franklin T-shirt…perfect.

On Cabrillo Hwy the rumble really heated up with Mike & Manny doing a
breakaway up one of the last consequential hills’’ it hurts so good!” “I
may chuck this Bomb!”  “This feels right”…onward to El Chorro!

In the end it was bittersweet, digital friends made real by “Rocks & Fire”
spirited discussions love of bikes a brotherhood for sure…all good thing
must pass…

Ah but there’s talk of a West coast ramble in 14’ where you wonder? There’s
this soggy spot in the North that routinely gets the nod for friendliest
bike town in the US of A. Maybe a rally is in the works?

…was there a winner between the North and South? You betcha! Medals for all!

Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedalpusher61/sets/72157634843502166/show/

~Hugh"Ramble on" Smitham