A ride up Camp Pendleton from Oceanside in late afternoon or early evening
is a very nice experience.  A call to the Public Affairs Officer (PAO) at
(760)-725-5799
or e-mail mcb.cpen.com...@usmc.mil can help clarify access.  There are no
longer blanket long term closures, but some USMC training operations might
block a particular set of days.  One needs to call ahead.  If the coast is
clear (obvious chance to use that phrase, don't you know), you will need an
ID such as a California Driver's license to clear the guard post at the
South entrance.  If the coast is not clear, you are diverted onto the
shoulder of I5.  I did that once after 9/11 in the era of long term closure
and will never do it again; better to boost a ride on Metrolink and retain
your sanity without lasting psychosis.

For those who have never done it, the personnel on the base are very
professional gentlemen and gentle-women.  I have never encountered anything
but courtesy, encouragement, and enthusiasm from them on my rides across
the base.  Sometimes they are performing operations and their equipment and
professionalism is impressive.

Camping with other Riv oriented folks at San Mateo sounds great.  I would
love to see you and see the bikes.  I cannot commit because of mid-term
reviews at my place of employment.  If I can break away, I will.  That's
why it's an S24O!

Some other options...  (Maybe not so S24O) Peddle up Camp Pendleton, dine
at an Italian restaurant (recommend Guicho's), credit car tour into hotel
(San Clemente Surf Inn works well), chow down at Adele's Cafe,  rest,
digest, and ride back South.  My San Diego friends call this Pedal and
Pig/Pig and Pedal.

Hope I can hook up.

Tom