Hi all, I decided to go with the P55 SKS silver chromoplastic fenders from
Riv.  I believe it will make for a more practical bike in the long run.  In
the meantime, I will have to store the Gilles Berthoud idea in the
"someday, maybe" box until I am more mechanically inclined to manage metal
fender benders.

Thanks for your help in the decision process.