I suspect tire choice may affect how noticeable a difference in hub drag
is. Small differences in hub drag will be a bigger fraction of total
rolling resistance if you are using light easy rolling tires than if you
are using heavy stiff super stout tires. This may also argue for using the
less expensive hub on a commuter bike, as folks often use stouter tires for
commuting.