I owned a SON on a previous bike (which I have since sold), and it was an
absolutely beautiful hub... It made me think "If Phil Wood made a dynamo
hub, this would be it"...  But honestly I was hard-pressed to notice
whether it gave better performance than my Shimano or SRAM dyno-hubs.

Since then I have owned several dynamos, including Shimano DH-3N70, SRAM
iLight, and Sturmey Archer X-FDD.  They all performed well; the Shimano (to
me) feels like the best quality of the 3 (and for much less $ than the
SON).  I've gotten some great deals on the SRAM iLight, and I really like
that hub too.  The Sturmey (don't ask me why) seems like it's not quite as
powerful, but that could be my imagination.  They certainly look like
amazingly well-built hubs for the $.  But I can understand for certain
builds (where you want that high end quality finish), you may just have to
go with a Phil Wood, or a Chris King or a SON... the quality of the SON hub
is apparent... it's solid.

I haven't heard too many bad reviews on dynamo hubs (which is the best
news)... these days you don't have to spend much to get a quality dyno
setup on your bike.  I have em on several bikes... it's just the way to go.

BB