This happened to me too. When I first set up my Sam I used a Nitto
Technomic that I cannibalized from another bike. The old bike was a much
smaller frame and I had a lot of rise above the head tube but with the Sam
I only need about an inch. After about 100 miles or so that creaking would
appear. Sometimes I would pull the stem and re-grease it but that was
always only a temporary solution. Eventually I switched to a Nitto
Dynamic12 stem which is a lot less stem down in the head tube. Several
thousand miles later and no creaks so I think it's just that long stem down
in there. No promises but I don't think there's any safety issues here. I
have NO CLUE what actually causes the sound though.

- Brian in Seattle.